The EU Settlement Scheme

Settled Status

You can apply for either SETTLED STATUS or PRE-SETTLED STATUS, depending on how long you have lived in the UK.

To get settled status, you need to show that you have lived in the UK, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man for 6 months out of every 12 months for 5 years in a row. It does not have to be the last 5 years- it can be for a different 5-year period as long as you haven’t lived outside the UK for 5 or more years in a row since then.

Even if you have lived in the UK for less than 6 months out of any 12 -month period you may still get settled status because you were;

  • Giving birth, seriously ill, training or studying abroad, abroad on a work placement (for one period of up to 12 months)
  • Serving in the UK Armed Forces, or a family member of someone in the Armed Forces
  • On compulsory Military service
  • Working for the UK, Scottish or Welsh governments, Northern Ireland executive or the British Council or a family member of someone working for them.

Once you have settled status you can stay in the UK for as long as you like and apply for British Citizenship if you are eligible.

If your application is successful, a letter will be emailed to you confirming your settled or pre-settled status. It will tell you if and how you can view your status online and share it to obtain your rights.

Date modified: April 07 2021 | Date created: April 07 2021

Coming soon...

Very soon our exciting and groundbreaking knowledge base will be launched providing instant access to deaf friendly advice on a huge range of issues which anyone can access 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Please check again soon.